2008/11/19 Kevin Krammer : > On Wednesday 19 November 2008, Armin Berres wrote: >> Heyya! >> >> After reading the following Debian bug report [0] Pino Toscano and me >> discovered the following: To be able to open links most KDE applications >> rely on an installed available kfmclient executable [1]. The problem is >> now: kfmclient is shipped with Konqueror. This means: If Konqueror is >> not installed a lot of applications are not able to open links even with >> another configured browser. For KDE user this isn't such a big problem, >> but a Gnome user e.g. doesn't want to install Konqueror just to be able >> to open external links. >> The question is now: How can we solve this problem? I guess in theory >> kfmclient should be a part of kdebase/runtime and not kdebase/apps, but >> I don't know if this is feasible in pratice. I didn't check yet how >> coupled kfmclient and Konqueror are and when distributed -runtime >> and -apps are two different tarballs. > > Could probably be changed to use kioclient. > > Some parts of the functionality kfmclient had in KDE3 were moved to the new > kioclient since they weren't Konqueror specific. What happened to xdg-open? I get an error with xdg-open 'http://www.freedesktop.org/' that it can't open file:/pwd/http://www.freedesktop.org/ in both of my KDE3 and KDE4 envs Koos