To return to the original question: On Jul 9, 2008, at 9:25 PM, Jason Harris wrote: > You can guess what the real problem is: the 10 million star data file > is going to be about 750 MB, and 100 million stars will be 7.5 GB. > How are we going to distribute these files? Is KDE billed per-bit for > transfers from kde.org? > How big a file is acceptable to distribute via GHNS? 75MB, 750MB, 7.5GB? None of these? How big a file is acceptable to host on kde.org for download? People seem interested in a streaming solution a la OpenStreetMaps, but for now I want to think about distributing the entire catalog, because I think it would be annoying to have to wait for the stars to appear every time I reposition the display, and I do not want to require a live network connection. It's possible that we'll eventually do a hybrid solution (e.g., the brightest 1 million stars are stored locally for immediate access, and anything fainter is streamed over the net). But for now I just need to know at what point a file is too large for our standard distribution methods (GHNS and ftp.kde.org). thanks, Jason