List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Kubuntu Settings in KDE
From:       Gary Greene <greeneg () tolharadys ! net>
Date:       2008-03-29 2:53:40

On Friday 28 March 2008 09:34:11 am Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday 28 March 2008, Gary Greene wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 March 2008 10:30:10 pm Chani wrote:
> > > it would be quite enough if, after their "this browser is not
> > > supported" warning, they would give the user the code that *works* with
> > > konqueror, the code that it gives to firefox, instead of insisting on
> > > sending it code that does not work.
> >
> > Unfortunately, that would very likely not meet Google's QA team's
> > approval, so we have to deal with what we get.
>
> Sending code that is known not to work is considered better quality than
> sending code that will?
> Coporate policies never stop to amaze me :-/
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

This is less the matter of what works and what does not, but more so how many
people can be allocated to maintaining support for a browser or not. If we
were to turn on Firefox mode for Konqueror versus just plain not supporting
it, Google'd be short changing you as well as ourselves as we would not be
able to truly take advantage of the platform that KHTML services and wouldn't
be presenting the end user a very usable experience.

Laying it out in a nutshell, my goal is to get KHTML working with Google's
apps, not the other way around, as Google has very good (albeit, not what you
as a KDE hacker wants to hear) business reasons for only supporting three
main engines. So, patience and perseverance are in order here as I try to get
the info you need to get our apps working.

An aside, understand here that this is NOT official, nor blessed support but
rather a small 20% project for me at work.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: peorth.tolharadys.net