List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Kubuntu Settings in KDE
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-03-25 14:38:41

On Tuesday 25 March 2008, David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 22 March 2008, Chani wrote:
> > >  * kio_httprc: set Firefox userid on google.com, makes gmail and
> > >    calendar work
> >
> > +1
>
> +1. But if google says later "see, nobody is using konqueror anyway" (from
> their webstats) we'll have to remember that konqueror doesn't appear as
> such :)

Not sure what kind of limitations there are for user agent string, but maybe
it could have an additional section like "(actually Konqueror/KHTML $VERSION
but Goggle only sends good code if we mask as Firefox)"

> > >  * konquerorsu: NoDisplay in apps menu (root is bad)
> >
> > yes, root is very bad.
>
> Well, yes it is, but how else does a GUI user edit a config file from /etc,
> after a helpful poweruser tells him to "remove this line from this file"?
> If you don't know the command line, you can't use "sudo vi ...",
> and you can't just ask kwrite to "become root when saving",
> so you have to use a file manager running as root in order to edit config
> files, don't you? What am I missing?

I think one can still do it through "Run Command" -> Advanced -> "Run as
different user"

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring