List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Global Shortcuts
From:       Michael Jansen <kde () michael-jansen ! biz>
Date:       2008-03-06 16:19:38

On Wednesday 05 March 2008 13:36:01 Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
> Am Dienstag 04 März 2008 00:45:42 schrieb Michael Jansen:
> > On Monday 03 March 2008 14:25:05 David Faure wrote:
> > > I thought "globalShortcutAllowed" was more of a setEnabled() call;
> > > enabling/disabling the shortcut at a given time, with the possibility
> > > that a change in the state of the application might toggle this later on.
> >
> > Looking at andreas patch i would say's youre understanding was correct. I
> > will fix kcm_keys when andreas commits.
> >
> Right, my patch also tries not to change existing behavior *too much* so that
> applications won't need much porting. The main rationale is that the kdelibs
> code is released now so breaking any old compiled application *at all* is a
> no-no. That will not be fulfilled in all cases but it will in my opinion (and
> there were no protests really) be close enough.

If i understood Andreas implementation correctly all that will bring the following \
behavior:

When editing shortcuts from the application itself utilizing kshortcutseditor you \
will be  able to assign a global shortcut to any action. That's exactly what David \
meant.

When using the global shortcuts editor form kcmhotkeys you will NOT see all shortcuts \
of all applications.  globalaccel only stores shortcuts that have currently a global \
shortcut assigned  or are empty but have been enabled either by calling \
enableGlobalShortcut or by calling setGlobalShortcut  with an empty KShortcut(). That \
what kwin is doing for example. So you will only see those shortcut and not all.

So you have to use the application local shortcut editor to assign a global shortcut \
for actions currently not known to globaccel.

That why i came to the conclusion an application developer would have to enable an \
global shortcut for an action explicit.

Mike

--
Michael Jansen
Available for contract work ( Development / Configuration Management )