On Monday 28 January 2008 11:43, Andras Mantia wrote: > On Monday 28 January 2008, David Faure wrote: >> What should happen if you give +x to a JPG file for instance? > > Ok, you have a point, but you know, there are file managers in the shell > (since ages), which execute JPG's on click/enter. ;) > So it means that if a mimetype (extension) can be executable and text, > like in the case of script, we must add that it inherits > application/x-executable, right? And in such case if the exec bit is > set, it will run the script, if it is not, it will open in the > associated aplication, right? David's point about the fact that some file systems (e.g. FAT) always set the executable bit must be borne in mind. It isn't correct to automatically assume a text file is executable just because the executable bit is set. At the very least the filesystem type needs to be ascertained first. But I think given the lack of feedback and the possibility of accidentally clicking on an executable (if single click is enabled), there should at least be a prompt first before executing anything as the default action. I'd prefer to see running a file being a context menu option, not a default action. -- David Jarvie. KAlarm author & maintainer. http://www.astrojar.org.uk/kalarm