List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KGlobalSettings and eyecandy on open/save dialogs
From:       Rafael_Fernández_López <ereslibre () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-11-22 13:51:52

Hi all again,

Apart from the previous mail I sent about the eyecandy on open/save dialogs
(I still would like to know if a variation of this patch [a patch of this
kind] can be committed to SVN at our current state), I also blogged about
the stuff, and as always, we had interesting input.

Someone suggested users should be able to disable absolutely all the
animations on the sytem (on Dolphin for example we have lots of small
animations, as well as on KDirOperator & more). I know some of you won't
agree because of what I learnt from Aaron and his talks: "stuff just
doesn't resize or (dis)appear", but I consider this a major topic:
performance.

On low performance computers, I am completely sure the user will love to
disable all the animations of the system. For this, I would suggest a new
method on the KGlobalSettings class that all apps that are running effects
should take in count. I have searched for something on our libraries that
is able to set or get this setting, but I failed, so I suppose there is no
such option.

I can consider this suggestion almost a bugfix, because if I'm right that
there is no way of disabling this effects, we will have a problem on slow
systems, and we also would like to run nicely on really slow systems.

The other question I have: can this option be created for 4.0.0 ? can the
effect for open/save dialog be committed when improved for 4.0.0 [I'd like
to review it tonight] ?

Bye and thanks,
Rafael Fernández López.