List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: even more on kconfig escapes (Re: KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/icons)
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-11-22 8:46:59

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 07:29:44PM +0100, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> (*) the current group name encoding is neither backward nor forward
> compatible with kde3:
> group names were written literally, with the exception of [ and ] being
> doubled, the example thus yielding [ weird \ [[]]]] group / name=blah].
> line breaks would break parsing, other control chars would make it
> unreadable for humans.
>
> - should we restore backwards compat?

bah, i remembered why ahartmetz proposed changing it to \-encoding in
the first place: to get rid of the embedded brackets to simplify text
processing.
one thing we could do would be having parsers for both formats and write
out only new-format headers, marking names where the encodings actually
matter with [$n] (new) or something like that (heuristical determination
would be unreliable). as before with [$e] markers for path entries, we
can fix that retroactively for kde3 to ensure two-way compat.