On 19.11.07 23:06:09, David Faure wrote: > On Sunday 18 November 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote: > > Hi, > > > > I'd like to know why KJob deletes itself when he's done doing its work? > > Shouldn't this be done by whoever creates the KJob? > No, many jobs are fire-and-forget, and when they're not, people would forget to delete them. > The job is done, it's done, it deletes itself. KDE3's KIO::Job has always worked like that. > > > I don't think its a good idea to delete the job behind the back of the > > user, in particular when you don't know how a KJob instance (or subclass > > thereof) is used. > Doesn't matter how it's used: after the job emits finished, it's finished :) Yeah, but the problem is I can't access the data the job carries after a run of the event loop. I don't care if KIO jobs are fire-and-forget, but for a general-purpose job class in kdelibs/kdecore this just sounds like an uneeded restriction. In particular this makes it impossible to have KJob provide the job-implementation for KDevelop VCS support. Andreas -- Don't look now, but the man in the moon is laughing at you.