On Monday 05 November 2007, you wrote: > Alexander Neundorf wrote: > >Ok. So this means if every plugin would have the "lib" prefix we could > > link to every plugin (maybe on all platforms). > > No. > > You can dlopen any library. You can't link to plugins, lib prefix or not. > (Unless you do the test and verify that it works -- I didn't) At least on Linux (and I guess Solaris and the BSDs too) there's no difference AFAIK, that's why the "maybe" ;-) > >If the plugin doesn't have the "lib" prefix, we can't link to it (at > > least on some platforms). > > Even if the library doesn't have the lib prefix, we can link to it. But it > requires the full path to it to be passed on the linker command-line. Yes, and cmake doesn't do that. > >So we have three options: > >1) leave it as it is and keep the "WITH_PREFIX" option, so some plugins > > have the "lib" prefix and others don't > > > >2) remove the WITH_PREFIX option and always use the "lib" prefix -> > > should bring no problems, may look at bit ugly, probably also doesn't > > bring any advantages > > > >3) remove the WITH_PREFIX option, never use the "lib" prefix -> slightly > > nicer code, linking to a plugin not possible (since -lkfoo won't find > > kfoo.so) > > > >If it's no problem for us that we cannot link to a plugin I'd vote for > > 3) > > And I agree. We shouldn't be linking to plugins. So, does anybody else still have objections against removing "WITH_PREFIX" ? Alex