List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Status of konqueror / dolphin as file manager
From:       "Peter Penz" <peter.penz () gmx ! at>
Date:       2007-10-30 11:56:56

[...]
> Another issue that bugs me is that there is not enough empty space where
> to click...
> That makes selecting files quite difficult. Can't the active area be
> restricted to the icon + text, as it was in the old kpart?

The empty space is configurable in the settings dialog. I've some ideas for KDE 4.1 \
to improve the selection functionality in general, but it is something where I really \
want to do some user testing before -> I need some time for this...

> And I really miss the treelist and the ability to zoom the icons with the
> scrollwheel...
>
> Although I may wait for these things.
>
> Oh, since I'm already whining, in KDE3 it was possible to ask for 10 rows
> of text under the icon... but in that case, the space was used
> only when there  were files/dirs with a ten rows long name. Now I
> either get too much empty space or incomplete file names.
>
> Is there hope to see the old behaviour again?

Yes, there is hope :-) Especially those parts had to be completely rewritten because \
of the changes in Qt4 -> there are still some open issues which should (and can) be \
solved, but we are just running out of time for getting all those things into KDE \
4.0.

It would be a gread help if you could submit your input to bugs.kde.org (although I \
have my internal TODO-list where I track input from e-mails like this, its no good \
replacement for bugtracking :-)).

Thanks in advance,
Peter