List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Release schedule clarifications
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-10-25 0:00:46

On Wednesday 24 October 2007, Dan Meltzer wrote:
> What about simply not releasing workspace with 4.0?  What if we just
> cut off problems at the pass and released only kdelibs,
> kdebase/runtime, kdebase/apps (maybe?) and required that users run it
> within kde3 or whatever their desktop of choice was?

OSVs and sys ints can make that choice.

> This would eliminate one of the showstopping release issues, and allow
> for people to work on getting kde4 ready for release instead of
> getting basic functionality working.

that would ensure that the workspace would get next to no testing, in turn
ensuring that it would appear rather raw for 4.1. that would be a stroke of
sheer genius; and by genius i mean larceny.

however, i'll sit back and let whatever other people want to do happen because
i am, at this point, sick to death of dealing with these topics. and it
hasn't just been plasma, it's been a huge number of the interesting things
that have made it into kde4.

if this project wants to really make the second decade of its existence a
success, we are going to have to learn how to take care of people and reach
meaningful consensus a hell of a lot better. a hell of a lot.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se