Thiago Macieira wrote: > Em Monday 22 October 2007 12:20:00 Kurt Pfeifle escreveu: >> Thiago Macieira wrote: >>> kprinter -- as a command-line tool that prints PostScript input and shows >>> a print dialog >> You don't seem to know kprinter too well. Yes, kprinter shows the print >> dialog. But no, it isn't confined to PostScript input... >> >>> should be replaced with a full-fledged PostScript reader. >> ...and therefore, above recommonendation isn't quite spot on. >> >> kprinter can send *any* file to the print sub-system. If that is CUPS, >> sending PDF, any image format (like GIF, TIFF, PNG, JPEG, PPM, PNM, Sun >> Raster,...) is useful, because CUPS can auto-convert it to whatever the >> target printer needs. > > Ok, rephrasing: > > it should be replaced with a full-fledged document viewer, like Okular. Can't > Okular read GIF, TIFF, PNG, etc. ? > > In any case, CUPS isn't the only backend we support. It is a pretty save guess that more than 90% of *nix-based users have CUPS. This in turn means we should be very careful with what we change for them, especially if we remove features. I'm not at all favoring to *only* support CUPS. However, the KDEPrint code to support non-CUPS print subsystems was never fully completed in the first place as far as other *nix based systems are concerned. And for Win32/64 of course, never existed at all up to now. > Therefore, we cannot rely > on CUPS features, like accepting those formats. Where there is CUPS underneath, *of course* you should rely on and offer to use those features! What else?! > We need an application that > understands the file format and converts to the printing system's printing > language (no, that does not mean PostScript -- the application may have to > read PostScript and output something else). Maybe my old proposal (that I had directed to gwenview, kphoto, digikam, krita, .... developers) will be taken up by okular developers: offer a new, additional, optional, alternative printpath where the printjob files are sent as "raw" png, tiff, jpeg, .... images (or PDF) to kprinter (or the future kprinter-alike standalone print dialog, as soon as we get one back; then let the user configure the print settings there (mainly on 'Image' tab). >>> In any case, it's not a runtime issue: KDE applications shouldn't be >>> calling kprinter, they should use the C++ classes. Are there any cases of >>> KDE applications using this? (These are, by definition, non-GUI >>> applications and KDE isn't in the business of writing them!) >> There are cases were *non*-KDE apps, running inside a KDE environment, >> use kprinter as the print dialog (Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox, Thunder- >> bird, OpenOffice, StarOffice, Acrobat Reader....). > > That is not a KDE3-vs-KDE4 co-installability issue. Right, But it is something to keep in mind whenever "printing" is dis- cussed. > You can still use KDE 3's > kprinter, since KDE 4 isn't overwriting it. -- Kurt Pfeifle System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS Infotec Deutschland GmbH ..................... Hedelfinger Strasse 58 A RICOH Company ........................... D-70327 Stuttgart/Germany