Am Montag, 22. Oktober 2007 14:17:28 schrieb Kurt Pfeifle: > This is mainly about kprinter being started as a standalone executable, > *not* the print dialog started from a KDE3 application (which naturally > sends PostScript output from printing). Yeah, but you mentioned 3rd party apps, which also use the "standalone" kprinter, but only send postscript. > For me it is *very* common to use > > kprinter *.jpg *.png > > and then select the target printer (usually the color laser in the office > next door), open the "Properties..." dialog, go to the "Image" tab and > set the printed image size to "100% of page" (sometimes I use 90%), and > hit the print button. Good that you posted this, because I was not aware of these possibilities. > > It's nice that CUPS supports that if it's properly set up, > > It supports it out of the box. Unless your distro messes with it too much. OK, then I don't know who messed it up here, but this is a fairly complex University installation. If CUPS always supports that and has an API for setting image size etc., that's indeed a big difference to other printing systems. I wonder if/how that can be supported in KDE 4, where CUPS cannot be relied on (e.g. Windows). It's a desirable feature though. > > but for using it in > > KDE, one would need to have tight control of that feature (is it active? > > change parameters, etc.) via a GUI that does not yet exist, and an API > > which I don't know if it is available at all. > > Huh? I don't understand anything you write beyond "one would need". That is because... > kprinter, on its "Image" tab, provides control (tight control even) of > all features that CUPS offers for image printing (== sending images in > their own native format: jpeg, png, tiff, giff, pnm, ppm, ....). And it > is a GUI that does exist since 6 years. You may want to study the > "WhatsThis" help blobs on the "Image" tabs.... ...I was not aware of that. ;-) Ciao, / / /--/ / / ANS