On Thursday 18 of October 2007, Thomas Zander wrote: > On Thursday 18 October 2007 13:09:19 Lubos Lunak wrote: > >  Nah. The "unfixable" part is the fact that with multiline lineedits > > there's no obvious minimum size (since you can stretch the width or > > height while reducing the other and the contents will still fit) and > > "can't be fixed in X11" means that the window manager spec has support > > for minimum size, but only for fixed minimum size and not any > > width-for-height size. > > > >  TT apparently are not willing to do anything besides a perfect fix > > (which is not possible as they say), but I think e.g. going with a > > reasonable ratio of width/height as the minimum size could work good > > enough for most cases. > > Speaking as a co-KDE guy; I know you are well known in the window-manager > area so I'm wondering what is holding up the 'perfect fix' ? > Can you perhaps work in the spec to make this a concept available on X11? I'm not sure. With fixed-value minimum size it's simple, both to set and to use. But with height_for_width minimum size, with more complex layouts it's probably possible to end up with more complicated rule than something like "height = 20 + width / 50". Now, the window manager should never be blocked by a client, meaning it can't query the client whenever it needs this value - so how should it technically get the minimum size? The best thing I can think of is running a loop over all width values and when showing a window giving the WM a list of (width,height) pairs for all of these. Just trying to find a decent fixed minimum size as I've suggested above seems a better try. -- Lubos Lunak KDE developer -------------------------------------------------------------- SUSE LINUX, s.r.o. e-mail: l.lunak@suse.cz , l.lunak@kde.org Lihovarska 1060/12 tel: +420 284 028 972 190 00 Prague 9 fax: +420 284 028 951 Czech Republic http//www.suse.cz