List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: CMake Find*.cmake modules
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-10-01 18:06:32

On Sunday 30 September 2007, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Why do we have so many duplicated FindXXXX.cmake modules? I mean
> duplicated meaning both:
> - Two (sometimes even more) FindXXXX.cmake modules
> - Two copies of the same FindXXXX.cmake modules
>
> A quick and by no means comprehensive search discovers:
> * 8 different FindQt4.cmake
Yes, well I don't think playground counts so I get the one in kdelibs and
4 copies, all in kdesupport. This is temporary, until the additions that we \
needed to make in the kdelibs FindQt4.cmake are folded back into the reasl \
FindQt4.cmake, which is in CMake itself. AFAIK it's already been synced, \
but for convenience we haven't required that everone upgrades CMake. That's \
good, right?

> * 5 different FindStrigi.cmake
Again, all playground crap. kdelibs installs FindStrigi, there's no reason \
to make a copy of it unless you have code that should be \
kdelibs-independent.

> * 2 FindKDE4Internal.cmake
This really makes no sense indeed, only kdelibs should have this one. Well, \
it seems to be the same culprit again: \
playground/base/plasma/menu/cmakemodules. Someone went a bit mad with "cp" \
there...

> Wouldn't it be nice to have a single FindXXX.cmake for each XXX and
> have all them in the same place? (kdesupport?)
kdesupport is optional, just a place where put some libs for convenience; \
in the future we might not need to install it, once common distros ship \
strigi and soprano and qca and qimageblitz...