List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Update on KIO & KSSL
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-09-30 18:14:18

George Staikos wrote:
>On 30-Sep-07, at 10:48 AM, Allen Winter wrote:
>> On Thursday 06 September 2007 8:43:47 am George Staikos wrote:
>>> This is probably the best (safest) approach for now.  The only
>>> problem remaining is how to get app developers to put appropriate UI
>>> in place since SSL is very heavily dependent on a proper UI.
>>
>> Time to beg.
>> George? Anyone?  I checked with Thiago and he is very busy with
>> other things.
>>
>> We really need to get KSSL to work.  Time is running very short.
>>
>> You can have all the time you need ... as long as you can get
>> something operational in the next 3-4 weeks. :)
>
>    What part of it doesn't work?  I think you're saying "we need new
>features".  I'm sorry but I just don't have time right now.

To be very specific:

KSSL works. Just fine, inside TCPSlaveBase.

What we need are two separate things:

1) an implementation of an SSL Socket that uses that KSSL, hopefully
keeping so much of its internals private that it can choose another
backend in the future. I've started that with the patch I posted: it's a
QTcpSocket-based socket implementation that behaves similarly to
QSslSocket. It requires a public function to activate it (in KIO,
probably) as well as a lot of testing.

2) port TCPSlaveBase to this new socket class from #1. This will require
some work as well on the blocking-mode part of QTcpSocket, since there
are some caveats there. I plan on helping there whenever possible.

All of this work is entirely binary-compatible. And aside from the
addition of a new method to activate encryption, it's also forwards and
backwards compatible. It can be enabled/disabled on a compile-time basis
so that we detect our problems without exposing it to our users.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358