List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Will we support Thin Client computing well with KDE4? (was:
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-16 16:49:14

On 9/16/07, Kurt Pfeifle <k1pfeifle@gmx.net> wrote:
> Inge Wallin wrote:
>
> > Let me just add that for thin clients, changing large parts of the GUI just
> > because of a shift of focus is a complete no-no!  Some things are nice
> > conceptually and maybe even usability wise, but yet completely impossible for
> > technical reasons.
> >
> > Last week I was in Brazil and at one time doing a test for a medical
> > organization.  They have a large number of smallish sites and they want to
> > run the computing infrastructure from a central data center. Right now they
> > are deciding between Linux and Windows and the one most deciding factor is
> > the bandwidth consumption. If more than just the tiniest change is done when
> > the user shifts focus, Linux is out!
> >
> > I picked this case out of many, so don't tell me this is an atypical example.
> > Bandwidth is not a universal resource all over the world. We are not just
> > designing KDE4 for the last generation of fat clients. We also have to take
> > into account thin clients and older or cheaper desktop computers.
> >
> > Remember that thin client installations mean large installations.  You
> > wouldn't want to make KDE impossible in these large installations, would you?
> > (and no, I'm not directing this to you personally, Jos, just to 'you' in
> > general.)  Design is good, but it always has to work inside the frames
> > created by available technology and cost considerations.
>
> How true, how true, how true!
>
> +10
>
> Thanks for bringing this aspect to attention again, Inge!

Sounds like a serious problem. So, what do we do. Try to do something
about it, right?

- we can start new Oxygen style design. Kick our artists out, find new
ones, and write a new style.
- we can try and think about a solution for the problems.

Sorry, that's a bit unfair, but we all KNOW changing the whole window
on window switch is painful. So what do we do? We can't change the
windowdecoration's colour, and only greying out text and buttons might
be to subtle. Is there no way to change the window's look, without
doing heavy I/O or cpu stuff?!?