List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-09-14 21:59:51

On Friday 14 September 2007 23:33:27 Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Maybe you can look into the following item we have on the TODO;
> > question:  Can we add a 'virtual printer' to Cups which does nothing
> > but write to a file in a format like postscript or PDF ?
>
> This is possible (even now)
[]
> Also, for the user it would require to have CUPS installed in the first
> place, and have it working too, and the daemon started up...

I would have thought you were the first that would applaud efforts to make
cups more mainstream by making it a more core component that more parts
depends on :)

Anyway, you are writing emails too fast. I want to do some hacking and
enjoy my evening as well :)  Your mails all have the same tone of doom
and helplessness. (which I entirely understand, btw)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, this stuff has my and TTs
attention.  Consider that I'm one of the largest backers of a printing
system that will "just work". I mean, I have just spent 2 years off on my
own time writing a word processor. Which is useless without proper
printing. :-)  Consider my motivation here.

We have a roadmap, and the manpower to keep to it, which is better then
you will have seen in years in kdeprint.
--
Thomas Zander