List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Will there be a standalone "kprinter4" dialog in KDE4? (was:
From:       Kurt Pfeifle <k1pfeifle () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-09-14 21:11:06

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday 14 September 2007, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>> Kevin Krammer wrote:
>>> Any KDE application can use the printing system available in kdelibs,
>>> even a commandline application,
>>>
>>> Based on the general use case, I think it might best be done through a
>>> special mode for Okular.
>>> It can read/import loads of formats and it will support printing anyway.
>>> Probably mostly a question of adding reading from stdin and going right
>>> into print mode.
>> Sorry, I don't understand your first paragraph. Especially not in the
>> context of the one you quoted.
>
> You were asking about the kprinter commandline application and a possible
> successor in a KDE4 context.
> If it was possible in KDE3 to read data from a file or stdin and print it
> through KDE's printing system, I see no technical reason why this should not
> be possible with KDE4

Ah, you meant to say "Yes, it is easy to create separate commandline appli-
cation that links to ${kde4printlib}.so". Good, now I got it.  ;-)

>> I also don't comprehend your second one. Nor your third.
>
> Since the application's job is to read data and potentially make it printable,
> I thought of the multi-format support in Okular, i.e. an application based on
> the same "engine" or even Okular itself, could read the data as kprinter used
> to do and, potentially after re-formating/drawing/re-coding it, print it.

Ah.

Thanks. (Now if only there were kde4-okular packages with PDF support
        from the distro I picked to install solely because of their
        supposedly stellar "KDE4 testing" support.... *sigh*)

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS