List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Future of KPrinter
From:       Alex Merry <huntedhacker () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-09-08 20:32:16

On Saturday 08 Sep 2007, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2007, at 2:29 PM, Alex Merry wrote:
> > Are custom margins really needed?
>
> What do you mean by custom margins? I think they would be needed for
> printing things like photos where the margins are very tiny or
> nonexistant.

Well, KPrinter (and Qt3's QPrinter) provides methods which allow you to
get and set the left, right, top and bottom margins.

QPrinter provides paperRect() and pageRect(), the latter being the
printable area.  There is no way to set the margins yourself, but you
can use setFullPage() to change the origin from the top left of
pageRect() to the top left of paperRect().

The reason setting the margins doesn't really make sense is that
printers have an area that they can print on (which may be the full
page for some printers), and no amount of software settings is going to
change that.

I'm not sure what applications are currently setting the margins for -
possibly just to change the co-ordinate system.  However, you can do
this using QPainter::translate().

Alex

--
KDE: http://www.kde.org