List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    File dialog: preview widget
From:       Peter Penz <peter.penz () gmx ! at>
Date:       2007-09-07 21:13:25

Hi!

David Faure suggested to move the "file dialog: preview widget" thread [1]
from kfm-devel to kde-core-devel for getting more feedback. Here is the
summary of the initial question:

Peter Penz wrote:
> During the port of the file-dialog to KDE 4 and reading
> some discussions about the "cluttered file dialog" ([2], [3])
> I was wondering about the preview widget:
> http://enzosworld.gmxhome.de/temp/file-dialog.png
>
> I personally never used the option to turn off the automatic
> preview by  unchecking the "Automatic preview" checkbox
> and hence I also never needed the "Preview" button. If I don't
> want to have a preview, I just turn off the
> preview widget completely...
>
> It is not my intention to remove any functionality that is needed,
> but in this  case I could not think of a usecase where
> using the checkbox/button has any
> benefit against just turning off the preview.
>
> Is there something I'm missing here? If not, I'd like to
> remove the checkbox  and the preview button, as it adds
> quite a lot visual clutter."

The current 3 replies indicate that removing the checkbox and the button in
the preview might be OK. Aaron explains further:

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> however, i think you're right that it's just as useful to show/hide the
> preview pane itself and that having less UI in that dialog would be nice.
> that's just mho though...
>
> btw, i think the real issue here is that it's not overly obvious how to
> show/hide the preview pane, as it is "hidden" in the options menu in the
> toolbar.

Any further input or objections?

Thanks!
Peter