Hi! David Faure suggested to move the "file dialog: preview widget" thread [1] from kfm-devel to kde-core-devel for getting more feedback. Here is the summary of the initial question: Peter Penz wrote: > During the port of the file-dialog to KDE 4 and reading > some discussions about the "cluttered file dialog" ([2], [3]) > I was wondering about the preview widget: > http://enzosworld.gmxhome.de/temp/file-dialog.png > > I personally never used the option to turn off the automatic > preview by unchecking the "Automatic preview" checkbox > and hence I also never needed the "Preview" button. If I don't > want to have a preview, I just turn off the > preview widget completely... > > It is not my intention to remove any functionality that is needed, > but in this case I could not think of a usecase where > using the checkbox/button has any > benefit against just turning off the preview. > > Is there something I'm missing here? If not, I'd like to > remove the checkbox and the preview button, as it adds > quite a lot visual clutter." The current 3 replies indicate that removing the checkbox and the button in the preview might be OK. Aaron explains further: Aaron J. Seigo wrote: > however, i think you're right that it's just as useful to show/hide the > preview pane itself and that having less UI in that dialog would be nice. > that's just mho though... > > btw, i think the real issue here is that it's not overly obvious how to > show/hide the preview pane, as it is "hidden" in the options menu in the > toolbar. Any further input or objections? Thanks! Peter [1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kfm-devel&m=118914659503800&w=2 [2] http://dot.kde.org/1188928003/1188936931 [3] http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=18563