List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Printing in KDE4 (Was: Fwd: Re: Requesting feature freeze
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-09-02 11:09:37

On Sunday 02 September 2007 12:48:40 Tom Albers wrote:
> Op za 1 sep 2007 22:24 schreef Andreas Hartmetz <ahartmetz@gmail.com>:
> > So we are, basically, screwed until an experienced developer with
> > enough time appears out of the blue.
>
> Hmm. This is  a big problem. I dont think we can do a final release
> without some sort of working printing support.
>
> I'm not so familiar with QPrinter, but maybe it's an idea to fall back
> completely to that or something? I admit I have no clue about the
> consequences. But I'm assuming QPrinter will work. It's better to have
> less functionality but the stuff that is there works, than a completely
> broken system.

This is what KWord does at the moment (with the export to PDF). But that
means we are missing;
* configuration UIs
* cups etc (since we always print to a file)
* progress reporting during printing in a centralized place.

If someone that is knowledgeable about kdeprints internals can stand up
and give a detailed way forward, that would be a great start.
--
Thomas Zander