List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Grouping sounds, wallpapers, styles, ...
From:       Hans Meine <hans_meine () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-08-28 9:43:18

On Dienstag 28 August 2007, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Here's why we should weed out the wallpapers that are shipped very well:

Thanks for this list of good arguments.  I agree 100%.

I just want to propose (again, IIRC), that some of these problems can be
tackled by grouping stuff like wallpapers, styles etc. in a tree view instead
of a list view.  Then, we would have sth. like:

KDE 4
+- Oxygen
+- Oxygen Alternative
\- Blue Whatever
KDE 3.x
+- Alta Badia
+- Triple Gears
\- ...
KDE 3.x Patterns [this could be even within KDE 3.x]
+- All Good People
+- The Good Times
Get Hot New Stuff (your downloads)
+- [download more now]
+- Pink Lady
+- Tron
\- Teletubbies

And of course the stuff is properly shipped within kdebase, kdeartwork,
kde3wallpapers, GHNS etc..

There are multiple benefits:

1) Old stuff is not confused with new.

2) The group names can be made to match the packages they are shipped with.
(E.g. if a user installs the "matrix wallpapers" packages via his package
manager, it is the best user experience AFAICS if he/she gets a "Matrix"
group in the wallpapers section - the user will be able to remember why/how
he installed this, know how to remove and or deinstall the wallpaper, and so
on.)

[2a) This allows us to provide a kde3artwork package which should hopefully
make many people who complained in this thread happy.]

3) Existing stuff can be grouped, too (e.g. wallpaper images vs. tiles, and
much more).

The same could/should go for icons, screensavers, styles, sounds and all that
stuff.  "Artwork" basically. ;-)

--
Ciao, /  /                                                    .o.