List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Installed sounds (no, really)
From:       "Jaison Lee" <lee.jaison () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-08-28 2:21:18

For those of you who actually remember/care what this thread was
originally about:

I tracked down the history of the .wav files as far back as I could.
Most of them are at least 7 years old; I lose track of the trail
somewhere around July of 2000. That's kind-of cool, but the problem
however is with their quality. I'm don't remember what kind of
microphones they sold back then but many of the wavs have a noticeable
background hum. Oggenc actually does a surprisingly good job of
reducing it, but it's still there. Including sound files with
background hum is not in the best interests of the KDE project I
believe. Of the few wavs that don't have hum they are at best pale
imitations of newer sounds doing the same thing only better[1] so for
all these reasons I feel the time has come to remove the venerable
wavs, and I have done so.

I'm still going through the oggs. These were added in 2004 by
'wheeler' who believe it or not, stated in his commit message that the
wavs should be removed for KDE4.  :)  Looks like he'll get his wish.
The quality of the oggs is fine, so they shouldn't be arbitrarily
removed.[2] With any luck, there will be duplicates between the Oygen
and current sounds and save us all the trouble of bickering over this
more.

[1] I gotta admit that I really like KDE_Startup.wav and
KDE_Critical_Error.wav, but mostly because they remind me of the
sounds my old Atari would make. :)

[2] There are definately too many *Desktop* and *Event* oggs. I'll try
and _very carefully_ prune those down. There were also a couple oggs
that were obviously copied from the wavs and I removed those also.