List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Which styles to keep?
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2007-08-16 19:49:11

On čt 16. srpna 2007, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> If we have a large amount of outdated styles and a small amount of styles
> that match the average taste of most people in the target group then there
> is certainly something wrong there.
>
> It's like a vegetarian restaurant offering a menu that contains mostly meat
> meals (really just because the cook loves them) and only one or two
> vegetarian meals. Still the restaurant claims to be a restaurant that is
> mostly targeted at vegetarians - because it's only the single vegetarian
> meal which they are running ads for.  I'm sure most vegetarians would feel
> either irritated or embarrassed if I called that restaurant a very good
> vegetarian restaurant that doesn't leave open desires for vegetarians (Of
> course the vegetarian meal might indeed be very good but that doesn't make
> it a "vegetarian restaurant" yet).

 Except that, to use your analogy, we're not running ads for vegetarian food.
We're running ads for a nice place to sit at.

 If for some unknown reason I've missed that KDE's biggest selling point and
the purpose of existence nowadays is to deliver shiny widgets, then please
ignore me, I'll go in the corner and complain how everything was so much
better in the good old days (when, if my memory serves me well, we used to
develop KDE aimed at a wide range of users).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer