Looks like that you (you all?) did not understand what Paolo was asking. Paolo stated *very clearly* that he was not asking a switch to git but just *some support* for projects that would like to use git and still being part of the KDE project. For instance being able to register a git repository on kde.org would be a very good step in this direction (consider also that git does not even require a "git" server, http or ssh will just do!). I really don't understand your accept_or_die policy, if a project would like to use a different VCS i think that no *very good reason* is required. Considering that KDE has the very liberal policy "you have write access for almost everything" (an i'm happy of it), i don't understand why you should impose "but you must use SVN!!!" :) On 7/11/07, Luciano Montanaro wrote: > On mercoledì 11 luglio 2007, Tim Beaulen wrote: > > On 7/11/07, Paolo Capriotti wrote: > > > Git encourages a development model where many branches are created, > > > features are developed out of the main line, and then merged back to > > > the master branch. This is something which is hardly possible with svn > > > (and impossible, if one wants to keep some of the branches private), > > > but IMHO highly desirable for many KDE projects. > > > > And if I remember it correctly, this was one of the main reasons for > > the switch from cvs to svn. > > > > I don't understand the "hardly possible" bit as it is very easy to > > create branches and merge them back. In fact, this is done a lot in > > KDE. > > Well, it's easy to create branches, as you say, but merging is more or less > the same as in CVS, that is, quite painful, when you want to merge stuff > more than once. > > At least, until SVN gets the merge tracking feature (planned for SVN 1.5; > how far will it be?). > > Anyway, the switch to SVN has been an improvement over CVS, but has not been > completely painless; switching to something else would need very good > reasons, in my opinion (Sorry, Paolo!). > > Luciano > > -- > ./.. ../ /./. .. ./ /. /// // /// /. / ./ /. ./ ./. /// ././. // > \\ // > www.cirulla.net \x/ > -- Ciao Maurizio http://stregatto.wordpress.com "Well we all shine on Like the moon and the stars and the sun" (John Lennon)