List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KTimeZone API change
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2007-07-09 20:20:43

There is a need to prevent KTimeZone instances being deleted while they are
still referenced by anything. Currently, there can be thousands of KDateTime
instances holding pointers to KTimeZone objects in some applications (e.g.
KOrganizer), and there is no sure way of determining whether a KTimeZone is
still being referenced before deleting it. The current situation has too much
potential to cause obscure bugs and occasional crashes to leave as it is.

I propose to use reference counting to ensure that the KTimeZone data is only
deleted once it is no longer used, implemented by backend classes. This
requires API changes (patch attached) which I hope to make next Monday unless
there are objections.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.