List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Solving the colour scheme issues properly
From:       Olaf Schmidt <ojschmidt () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-07-05 11:51:45

[ Maksim Orlovich, Di., 3. Jul. 2007 ]
> > Problem 4: Some HTML pages define text and background colours that do not
> > have
> > enough contrast with the user-chosen highlighting colours (selection,
> > focus,
> > hover). The same applies to text in documents, or to other places where
> > the
> > global colour scheme is (correctly or incorrectly) not used.
>
> There is code in KHTML that tries to address that. Are there any instance
> you know of where it doesn't work? Oh... DId you mean inside widgets, not
> normal selected text?

My main point was that hover and focus colours and not different from
selection colours in this regard. For example, you can easily create a KWord
document where the selection is invisible (simply set the background and
foreground colours of the text to the selection colours).

> XSettings does stuff sort of like this. However, Plasma is probably the
> wrong app to do it, kded will likely be a better fit.

OK, you are probably right.
So can we go with XSettings then?

> I am not certain one can artificially construct an appropriate color that
> would be sufficiently aesthetically pleasant and meet all the constraints
> (e.g. contrast with foreground color, both different from bg color and not
> /too/ different, different from highlight color, etc.). An another option
> is to disable the effect, but that leads to inconsistency.

I would leave this decision to the style authors that actually want to use
focus or hover coulering effects.

Olaf