List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fixed icons rendered in compile time ?
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-06-17 17:53:04

On Sunday 17 June 2007, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Sunday 17 June 2007 schrieb Thomas Zander:
> > What this means to me is that if we do a gzip of each svg (and rename the
> > file to the proper compressed svg extention) we actually gain some 50%
> > diskspace compared to the pngs.
>
> Of course you need to remove .svn from the pngs too before you compare your
> numbers with Aarons.

ah, right.. we're talking about release tarballs, not svn pulls .. without
svn's little disk consumers, png is ~22mb and svg is ~164mb. compressed, the
svg's are 18MB.

we're still left with the runtime rendering issue, of course, particularly
with the blur filter.

in any case, i have just talked with the oxy team and have compressed all the
svg's in svn. thankfully inkscape supports svgz. i'll be committing as soon
as the script is done (my god[dess] is svn mv slow)

have svg only icons really doesn't cut it until we have faster computers
and/or we're fine with each user have a full copy of all pixmaps in their
home dir in the icon cache

p.s. rivo's had some really great success with that icon cache SoC project..
start up performance is rather improved, with the icon classes setup dropping
from ~550ms to ~50ms on his system for an app with cold disk caches.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se