On Tuesday 29 May 2007, Aaron J. Seigo said: > On Monday 28 May 2007, Kevin Ottens wrote: > > Le dimanche 27 mai 2007, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit : > > > as an aside, there have been a few requests made at conferences i've > > > spoken at this year for both still and video camera detection. solid > > > seems to have a nice interface for the former (which often can also do > > > video too, as you note in the API docu) but i'm not sure how detection > > > of webcams, DV sources, etc are handled? > > > > For now they're basically ignored. As for webcams, Will told me there was > > an upcoming effort driven from Kopete. So it might happen in the future. I've been talking to Cláudio Pinheiro aka Taupter who wrote the webcam code in Kopete about making this a libs function. > this should cover video sources in general, not webcams only of course. > what i'd be looking for personally is the addition of Video or DigitalVideo > or some such to Solid::DeviceInterface::Type. even if no video cameras are > currently even seen by Solid, it would at least point to where this support > will be coming in. Yes. Taupter is a general purpose video guy - the Kopete layer can talk to any v4l(2) video device so I don't expect any artificial limit here. > i see that HAL currently doesn't know anything special about video cameras, > at least according to the spec[1] which is unfortunate. > > is the policy in Solid to only expose what HAL can provide? > > would it make any sense to have a Solid::Video object before a backend > provides it? The plan we discussed in Oslo (me, Matthias Kretz and Taupter) was to have detection in Solid but put the video I/O in Phonon. The rough idea was to put v4l2 as a backend under the Phonon layer, but at the same level as e.g. gstreamer, since this does not support detailed video I/O for reading and controlling video devices. This would obviously not have made 4.0 and I don't think anything has happened on it yet. Will