List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    shared-ODF-lib
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-05-12 22:18:14

intro;
KDE developers (kdeedu /okular / etc) want to have better integration with
ODF. But having to parse the XML and write it yourself is a bit too much
for them. So the question is; can the KOffice crew create a shared
library?

We identified 3 use cases;

A) kvoctrain (kdeedu) is thinking about moving its native fileformat to
ods. A spreadsheet with the data.  No formatting needed and the only
thing it will use this library for is loading / saving. This implies we
never will need to, for example, have the library return the calculated
value of a formula like '=SUM(A1, B2)'

B) An application wants to use spreadsheet features like printing or
calculating values etc. Or load a ODF-Document and get information like
the number of pages or even print it on screen (like Okular wants)

C) KMail could want to load / save richtext from / to ODF into the
composer window.

The solution we (at the ODF meeting) agreed on:

* We will create a new module in subversion which koffice libs will depend
on. (kodflibs). After the 2.0 release.
We move code from koffice libs there for basic reading/writing of ODF
XMLs. This includes some of the KoStore library, the helper classes like
the OasisContext which are used for saving/loading.
This will satisfy the kvoctrain use case (A) by allowing it to use a
reasonably high-level API for loading/saving the ods file.

* In that new module we also move Flake.
Note that this does not mean moving implementations like the text-plugin.
It just means external apps are capable of searching for installed
flake-plugins and loading + showing + saving them.
This satisfies use case B by allowing apps to load content and use dbus to
interact with it other than what flake already allows.

* We move the KoText library to the extra module.
Note that KoText does not include text layouting or dialogs or displaying
code.
It will include code to save the QTextDocument plus the ODF addons to an
ODF-stream and will satisfy use case C.

--
Thomas Zander