Il Monday 07 May 2007 22:39:46 James Richard Tyrer ha scritto: > As I presume everyone knows, KDE uses 22x22 for "Medium" icons and the > rest of the world (including GNOME) uses 24x24 icons. > > I would like to suggest that KDE 4.0 would be a good time to start > transitioning to using 24x24 icons instead of 22x22. > > I realize that 22x22 is correct using a power function. However, we use > 48x48 icons rather than 45x45. One of the major reasons for doing this > is the conversion to SVG for icons. When a 128x128 pixel SVG image is > rendered to 22x22, it is always going to render poorly while with 24x24 > boundaries in the image on a 16 pixel grid will be pixel perfect. > > My suggestion is that we convert the code from 22x22 to 24x24. > > When an SVG is rendered, it would be rendered as 24x24 pixels. > > When searching for a 24x24 icon, the additional 2nd step of looking for > a 22x22 icon would need to be added before the step of looking for other > sizes to resize. 22x22 icons should not be resized to 24x24 but rather > padded with a 1 pixel clear boarder. All new code should contain these > padded icons. > > Also, Icon resizing can then be improved by choosing the best icon to > resize. The resized icon should be made from one that is twice its size > (16x16 would be best produced from 32x32 and 24x24 would be best > produced from 48x48). For other cases SVG is probably the best choice > although 4x icons could be used. The very specific point here is that > the code should avoid making 24x24 icons by downsizing 32x32 icons. I entirely agree with this message. 22x22 does not make a real sense nowadays, 24x24 will make life much easier for artists, will increase compatibility with other DEs, and will allow to use 2 pxs more (that are a lot on a small size icon). I strongly support this proposal! -Riccardo -- GPG key: 3D0F6376 ----- Pace Peace Paix Paz Frieden Pax Pokój Friður Fred Béke 和平 Hasiti Lapé Hetep Malu Mир Wolakota Santiphap Irini Peoch Shanti Vrede Baris Rój Mír Taika Rongo Sulh Py'guapy 평화