List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 default shortcut theme
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2007-04-03 23:15:12

Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> I agree that we need to clearly define "safe" shortcut ranges for
> applications.
>
> Unfortunately it is impossible to do this in a radically new way if we want
> our applications to work on other platforms.
>
> If we invent our own, completely independent keyboard shortcut scheme, then we
> are in effect telling users that we do not want them to use KDE applications
> if they also use GNOME, and that we don't care about KDE applications on
> Windows and MacOS.

On the contrary, I think this is *exactly* what we should do. This way
there is a clear benefit to having a pure KDE environment (good for
us)... and the whole reason shortcut schemes *exist* is to satisfy the
interoperability concern. What we seem to have right now is a KDE scheme
that is in fact not a KDE scheme at all but a mishmash of other schemes.

--
Matthew
Obscurity: +5