List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 default shortcut theme
From:       frando <frando () xcite-online ! de>
Date:       2007-03-29 21:28:48

> Ok, here comes the radical one.

This is a great idea!
Honestly, I agree wholeheartly to everything you said (in general).
Naturally, some more discussion will/should happen what the best namespaces
are and what exceptions are needed/wanted.

But your approach is the best idea in this whole thread.

The cluttered shortcuts are not only painful for application developers, but
also for normal users, who might want to assign additional shortcuts, as you
(can) never now which shortcuts are already occupied globally and which
aren't. Of course, you get a message when you try to reassign an existing
shortcut, but (at least speaking for me), this then usually ends in some
trial-and-error to find a free, well reachable shortcut that's not yet used.
This lack of structure makes it very hard to remember shortcuts.

It gets even worse when you want to assign additional global shortcuts. Only
"rescue" there is the "free" windows key, which is why I think it should be
kept free, to have a space for user-assigned global shortcuts (maybe also
some application-assigned global shortcuts could live here, e.g. win-y for
amarok play/pause or win-k for opening yakuake/konsole).

So,
please, please realize some kind of short cut namespacing / structuring, and
please please don't dismiss it because it might kill some shortcuts that one
is somehow used to.

I'd propose to just start with a wiki page over at techbase or at the
openusability guidelines page.