List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 default shortcut theme
From:       frando <frando () xcite-online ! de>
Date:       2007-03-29 21:28:48

> Ok, here comes the radical one.

This is a great idea!
Honestly, I agree wholeheartly to everything you said (in general).
Naturally, some more discussion will/should happen what the best namespaces
are and what exceptions are needed/wanted.

But your approach is the best idea in this whole thread.

The cluttered shortcuts are not only painful for application developers, \
but also for normal users, who might want to assign additional shortcuts, \
as you (can) never now which shortcuts are already occupied globally and \
which aren't. Of course, you get a message when you try to reassign an \
existing shortcut, but (at least speaking for me), this then usually ends \
in some trial-and-error to find a free, well reachable shortcut that's not \
yet used. This lack of structure makes it very hard to remember shortcuts.

It gets even worse when you want to assign additional global shortcuts. \
Only "rescue" there is the "free" windows key, which is why I think it \
should be kept free, to have a space for user-assigned global shortcuts \
(maybe also some application-assigned global shortcuts could live here, \
e.g. win-y for amarok play/pause or win-k for opening yakuake/konsole).

So,
please, please realize some kind of short cut namespacing / structuring, \
and please please don't dismiss it because it might kill some shortcuts \
that one is somehow used to.

I'd propose to just start with a wiki page over at techbase or at the
openusability guidelines page.