On Thursday 29 March 2007, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote: > A quick question here: how about so called "FileDialog daemon": > - by behaviour very similar to kdialog app > - starting at KDE startup and then listening to DBUS requests. > > Would this be on of the fastest possible ways to display file dialogs of many > kinds (and some other general purpose dialogs, like fonts) or am I missing > something? Faster maybe (dlopen is quite fast too), but: - one more daemon [can't be done in kded, especially not with modal dialogs] - bad integration into the applications [not a "real" modal dialog in terms of the relation between the window] - less control over the contents [can't use the Qt API to access the filter combo, the location edit, etc. like I see many applications do]. But of course if we have libkfile then that's the solution for this kind of use case. > The dialog could be of course wrapped in the similar file dialog API we have > already, and since it is alive all the time, it could cache some data like > data structures or even widgets for a number of recently used directories. > Users usually start browsing from the same "home" or some sort of "my > documents" location again and again... But we want per-application history, and view mode, and start dirs etc. And what happens if you open a file dialog in an application, then think about something else, switch to another application, and then try to open a file dialog there? Ouch. The idea of kio_uiserver providing dialogs is very..... kde3. I got rid of all of them during the course of kde3 because of the problems outlined above. Really, I find that normal widgets are much nicer than gui servers. -- David Faure, faure@kde.org, sponsored by Trolltech to work on KDE, Konqueror (http://www.konqueror.org), and KOffice (http://www.koffice.org).