List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 default shortcut theme
From:       Ellen Reitmayr <ellen () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-03-29 11:40:11

On Thursday 29 March 2007 13:16, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 29.03.07 11:07:13, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> > Olaf and me went through the KDE system shortcuts and suggest a few
> > changes for the KDE4 default shortcuts. For one, we would like to add
> > some alternative keyboard combination for a higher consistency with other
> > systems, for the other we'd like to introduce several new shortcuts which
> > are required for full keyboard access (accessibility). The latter
> > requires changes in the libs.
>
> In general I have to say that many global shortcuts are a PITA for apps
> like Quanta or KDevelop where shortcuts for many things are needed. The
> amount of working (i.e. easy to reach) shortcuts is limited and thus
> special care should be taken for the global ones as these override _any_
> app-specific shortcuts.
>
> > Suggested new keyboard shortcuts (for 3 modifier keys):
> >
> > * Focus to previous widget, including widgets on toolbars and in dockers:
> > Shift-Tab
>
> This one is used in KDevelop for de-indentation and I don't see the
> use-case for jumping around in the app's mainwindow. Also this would
> (AFAIK) need extra support from the application, it needs to keep a list
> of "previous" widgets which to jump to. Or does KWin cover that?

forget that one - it was an error (see correction mail i sent right after)

> > * Go to next main component (e.g. a pane, a docker or a toolbar): Alt-F6
> > * Go to previous main component: Alt-Shift-F6
>
> Same thing as with Shift-Tab, there's no tab-order defined here and thus
> we'd need to introduce a way of defining the "next" and "previous"
> component.

that's exactly what we ask for. for full keyboard access, there has to be a
way to reach dockers and toolbars.

> > * Focus switch between panel and desktop: Ctrl-Alt-Tab (should show list
> > of components -> much like Alt-Tab to directly jump to a widget in the
> > panel)
>
> I don't know about Qt4 but in Qt3 QTabWidget occupies this shortcut for
> switching between tabs.

don't know about Qt4 either. should check this.

> > * Resize split pane: F8 (currently only implemented in KWord)
>
> Is there special code that makes this possible in KWord or is it just
> the lack of a proper QAction in other apps with split windows that those
> don't have that shortcut? If the first is the case I don't think this
> should be a global shortcut, its just one application that has this
> feature.

Gary Cramblitt, the accessibility dude, implemented it for KOffice. Olaf and
me think it's not such an important shortcut, but other systems also support
a way to resize split panes via keyboard.

> > As changes in the default keyboard shortcuts we suggest
> >
> > * Switch to next desktop: Ctrl-Alt-Right (Ctrl-Tab is needed to get focus
> > out of text fields)
> > * Switch to previous desktop: Ctrl-Alt-Left
> > * Window menu: additional shortcut Alt-space
>
> Nothing against those.
>
> > * Switch to next tab: Ctrl-, (all types of tabs)
> > * Switch to previous tab: Ctrl-. (all types of tabs)
>
> There was a discussion about tabswitching shortcuts quite some time ago
> and IIRC they should be unified. Although I find something with arrow
> keys personally better than ./, .

yes, but it's hard to find a free arrow key combination

> > * Undo: additionally Ctrl-Shift-Z
> > * Add Bookmark: additionally Ctrl-D
>
> Uhm, I guess these are for being compatible with other DE's? In that
> case I opject, if somebody wants to have the same shortcuts as in
> another DE, he should use a proper DE-compatbile shortcut theme. Please
> don't start to add additional shortcuts for compatibility reasons, we
> have themes for such things.

OK

> > * Focus to next major panel (voluntary): F6
>
> I guess this is active only if the panel has focus? Else this doesn't
> make too much sense, IMHO.

hm, might also call it "focus to main panel" > when there are many dockers,
e.g. in a graphics application, it's faster to get back to the main document
by this shortcut. but app developers should decide themselves if it makes
sense for them to add this.

> > We also found shortcuts in the Windows and Mac scheme which differ from
> > the actual Win+Mac system shortcuts. We'd like to fix them once the new
> > shortcuts are implemented.
>
> I don't care about those schemes :)
>
> BTW, while you're on it: Please remove the stupid Ctrl+F<num> global
> shortcuts that switch to that desktop directly. Or at least everything
> above 4. KDE3 comes with 4 desktops by default (IIRC) so there's really
> no reason to have shortcuts for more. And for switching between four
> desktops the next/prev desktop shortcut should be enough too in the
> default setting. If somebody needs to switch directly he can adjust the
> setting.

any objections?

--
Ellen Reitmayr