List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Could kdecore depend on kjs?
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-03-14 14:32:57

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> By "penalise" you mean a build-time dependency? Because there won't be
>> any performance penals.
>
> [: Stephan Kulow :]
> I'm afraid you're wrong. Every library more in the dependency chain
> means more string compares for resolving the symbols.

Well, as up to now, I'll do performance benchmarks.

But it would be good to know if a build-time dependency is a policy problem
by itself or not. And whether it would be advantageous to allow disabling
it by a switch at configure-time.

> I wonder too if you can't make this some kind of fixed plugin. If it's
> there, dlopen it and hook the function "kjs_translate".

I have little knowledge of dynamic loading: would it mean that there would
still be a build-time dependency (headers...)?

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)