List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: organizing kdebase
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-24 20:22:37

On February 24, 2007, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> If the signal to packager is that kdebase without tools is consider enough
> for a dependency of a kde-core metapackage, then tools like kdialog,
> kread/kwriteconfig need to be in runtime.
>
> If the signal is that this is purely a matter of internal organisation and
> that packages should treat binaries in tools like binaries in runtime, e.g.
> have them both in a kdebase-bin package, then I see no problem.

i think this is up to packagers at the end of the day no matter what we do.
this simply helps categorize things "properly". a proper kde-core metapackage
would indeed include runtime/ and tools/ (and apps/ too, imho), but
the -minimal dependency- from kdebase for an end-user application is
runtime/.

jakob is quite right about the oddness of including only some scripting
requirements and not others, but i figured i wouldn't go there ... now that
someone has, it's quite true as far as showing why we don't shove every
scripting support facility into runtime/ ... or maybe we do and include
things like the kommander runtime.

speaking of kommander, i'd personally like to see it in kdebase/tools/ (or
runtime/tools/, whatever) so that it's more dependably reliable. if we ship
kdialog, not shipping kommander is a bit odd. we provide kdialog in part
because of xdialog, no doubt, but kommander is ++xdialog so not having it
there seems like we're missing an opportunity.

just imagine how much more popular kommander utilities would be if everyone
had the runtime? =)

i'm cc'ing the kommander team as this is my invitation to them to discuss this
possibility.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se