List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: organizing kdebase
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-22 18:31:58

On February 22, 2007, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 22 February 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > keeping runtime/ to mean "those applications which form the runtime
> > requirements of KDE applications" seems to be a good separate goal to me
> > for reasons i've already stated.
>
> I don't see why we need to separate the runtime-requirements of C++ KDE
> applications from the runtime-requirements of KDE-related scripts.

oh, it's not about C++. if Ruby or Python apps used these tools, that'd be
enough. the language used is not relevant, the kind of application is.

let's say i did an `$PACKAGE_MANAGER install kfoo`, that should pull in
kdelibs and kdebase/runtime. the latter should have only what is really the
runtime for such applications. kfoo, regardless of what language it is
written in, should not be using kwriteconfig.

if i write an admin script to do something like "change the default domain for
all our users" and i use kwriteconfig, i should need the tools from kdebase
indeed. but that's not the runtime for applications.

this creates a separation that reflects the reality of what kde apps can and
should be using, and which are fundamental tools (therefore they are in
kdebase and not elsewhere) but which are not meant for use from a kde
application.

> Especially since we're arguing over 6 small tools :)

devils in the details? or maybe i'm really a type 'a' personality masquerading
as a playboy. hmm....

you're right that this doesn't need to be debated to death, i just want to
make sure i'm communicating my thoughts clearly before pushing everything
back into runtime/, which seems a lot less "clean" to me right now.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se