List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kuiserver future (to gui or not to gui)
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-22 12:23:29

On Thursday 22 February 2007, Ricard Marxer wrote:
> I was thinking of the possibility of creating a job viewer in ascii.  The same
> way 'top' does for processes.
We can add another level of indirection -once- we need it. Meanwhile I don't
see the point. Plus, we could simply do this with dbus signals without having
the simple case go through an extra process. Really, app->uiserver->plasma
is just a way to do lots of context switches for nothing and make debugging more
complex for nothing.

> Besides, for a job to be published kuiserver (which is GUI dependent at the
> moment) needs to be running, otherwise the job is ignored.  If the kuiserver
> gets launched later the job will never be shown AFAIK.
May the code be with you... a job with gui enabled autostarts the uiserver if it's not running.