List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: How to add missing copyright and license headers to sources?
From:       mETz <mETz81 () web ! de>
Date:       2007-02-17 12:15:55

On Friday February 16 2007 19:21, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> Thomas Zander wrote:
> > The person on IRC who told you that was also not a lawyer :)
> > Its entirely OK to make clear the thing that was already fact. And if a
> > person writes a large chunk of code, he holds a copyright to it. Thats
> > the law, and thus a fact.
>
> That's true of copyright, but not of license.  That's actually the
> tricky part; those authors did of course already have copyright, but
> without a previous license in those files it may be problematic to
> assume that the authors consent to the code being BSD licensed.  I

I don't know if it makes a difference but kdemm/noatun/COPYING says that all
files not mentioning a different license are licensed under BSD except for
plugins as they have their license mentioned in their .desktop file.

> didn't look through the current stuff, but I noticed at one point in the
> past some of my (GPL) code had been copied from JuK and listed in Noatun
> as BSD licensed.

You're probably talking about one of the engine-plugins or the systray-plugin.

The engine-plugins I wrote are licensed under GPL because I wrote them from
scratch (but looked into the JuK code to get an idea of how to use aKode).

In case you're referring to the systray-plugin (contains some lines from JuK
for the passivepopup), I can happily ignore that one and write a new plugin.
I probably have to anyway because the current plugin seems to contain
the 'advertisement clause' which is discouraged according to
http://developernew.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy

Bye, Stefan aka mETz