On Tuesday 19 December 2006 13:07, Zack Rusin wrote: > On Tuesday 19 December 2006 07:34, Thomas Zander wrote: > > On Tuesday 19 December 2006 12:40, Zack Rusin wrote: > > > It looks like we're trying to market libraries which in turn is pretty > > > bizarre. Users don't care, or should never have to care about > > > technologies under the applications they're using, so the existence of > > > Phonon, Solid or Decibel doesn't matter to them. > > > > If we were a company; I'd agree. But we are an open source project and > > after targeting users, we have to realize that the only way we can go on > > living is getting new developers. So we market for new developers as much, > > or even more, than for end users. > > Which makes having cool library names a pretty big deal. > > So as an engineer you're attracted to names and you'd join KDE because > libraries have cool names? I'd expect engineers to look at technologies not > through their names but what they do (CoreAnimation and Window Presentation > Foundation are pretty plain names, for technologies everyone wants to play > with) and marketing what a technology does is done very differently than > application. > > Saying that as a project to be able to market successfully to engineers you > need goofy names is like having library developers saying they need to be > naming class that does painting QGesner (Gesner was the first to introduce > pencil which everyone doing painting clearly knows). And I might add QGesner > is freaking waaay cooler than QPainter but if we had QGesner instead of a > QPainter everyone would find that silly. Sure if the technology is good > people will still use it without a problem, but there always be "wtf is X > doing" stage. > > z Tulip, Arthur, Interview, Scribe,... Trolltechies are mad. :-) (Not that I'm particularly competent for commenting on this topic -- but did I ever care? :-P ) Cheers, Kurt