List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Making focus information visible for panes
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-15?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-12-03 20:43:17

On Thursday 30 November 2006 21:42, Joseph M. Gaffney wrote:
> On Thursday 30 November 2006 15:03, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> >  The downside of this is that one can't use the up/down arrow
> > keys for navigating in the message list pane because up/down
> > scrolls the message in the preview pane.
>
> Something I, as a user, find fairly annoying actually.  Even in KDE I
> use my keyboard shortcuts, and this is on thing I miss greatly from
> other mail clients.  Now perhaps I'm missing something - why is it
> intentional that no KMail pane ever has focus?

Because this way the user never needs to remember or check which pane
has focus. He can simply press left/right to go to the previous/next
message and simply press up/down to scroll the message without having
to think about the focus. If the keyboard focus doesn't get in his way
then he can much better focus on what he actually wants to do.

The alternative is that you press up/down because you want scroll the
message but unfortunately the folder list has focus so that you
inadvertently switch to another folder. In order to prevent this (to a
certain degree) some way to clearly indicate which pane has focus is
needed (which is what this thread is about).

Regards,
Ingo