List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Okular moving
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2006-11-20 20:05:57

Am Montag, 20. November 2006 13:30 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > The really big problem with this approach is that people have to know
> > beforehand which application they have to install to get feature X.
>
> Actually no, that's the point of a package dependency, isn't it?
> If a user installs the KDE desktop package, e.g. usually a meta package
> called "kde" or "kde-desktop", it will depend on the packages that make up
> a full-featured KDE desktop. If it does depend on kdegraphics or just KPDF
> is not a teeny weeny bit different to the user at install time, but gets
> them less crowded K-menu at runtime.

Yeah, but then we're totally at the mercy of distributors to assemble suitable
"kde" metapackages. Some will get it right and others will blow it.

The current way as I understand it for KDE 4 is to consolidate the best apps
into their respecitive kde{network,pim,graphics,multimedia,...} packages and
have them released as "KDE - The Desktop Environment". Duplicates go to
kde{extragear,playground,blackhole,whatever-else-not-being-released}.

The current grouping gives invaluable hints to packagers which applications to
bundle into meta-packages. If essential applications are moved out of "KDE -
The Desktop Environment", we again have to rely on distributors to grab those
essentials from KEG and link them in their meta-packages.

Even worse, it will lead to a segregation of our user base as distributor x
may choose suitable application A, while distributor y may choose suitable
application B for the same purpose.

This blurs the line between packages tightly intertwined with "KDE - The
Desktop Environment" and externally developed packages with their own release
schedule which just happen to use the KDE infrastructure.

[...]
> Anyway. Since source repository organisation currently implies installation
> modules and this is not likely to change anytime soon, we should just make
> KEG an official module and have it released (additionally to their own
> intermediate releases) as one hugh package (poeple other than me seem to
> like hugh packages) whenever KDE releases.

KEG has become way too big to install it as a whole. Given how bitchy it is to
extract out a single app and build it (has this improved with cmake?), and
given that users who want to gain functionality selectively again have to
know the name of the package, this suggestion seems to lead to more
disadvantages than advantages.

> Everybody gets "everything of KDE" and everybody is happy and we do no
> longer need to discuss into which module to put apps.

<irony detector ringing>

mfg
	Leo