On Friday 17 November 2006 18:52, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote: > Am Freitag, 17. November 2006 18:01 schrieb Tobias Koenig: > > On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 05:36:23PM +0000, Kurt Pfeifle wrote: > > > Right. The problem is: none of the applications you mention can edit > > > *PDF* documents. And PDF is one of the core formats handled by these > > > applications we discuss in this threat. > > > > Well, kviewshell can't _edit_ PDF either, it uses some external > > libraries to do a subset of possible tasks. > > > > If you want a _real_ editor you need an abstract document layout which > > is loaded by the PDF parser and can be written back to file by a PDF > > writer (neither the abstract document format nor the PDF writer exists > > for Linux yet). > > I don't think we need a _real_ PDF editor, but rather an application that > is able to do the most basic modifications, like > -) extracting pages, > -) reordering pages, > -) turning some pages, > -) attaching some comments at a given position (without actually > modifying the contents), like a speech-bubble, > -) add/remove password to the PDF, or more generally, change the DRM > flags, -) etc. Same here. Being able to save separate pages or ranges of pages is a really useful feature and IMO doesn't really qualify as "editing" (since it's not that much different from printing only some pages, which isn't editing either). Bye Alex -- Work: alexander.neundorf AT jenoptik.com - http://www.jenoptik-los.de Home: neundorf AT kde.org - http://www.kde.org alex AT neundorf.net - http://www.neundorf.net