List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    =?ISO-8859-6?Q?Re: secondary window titles?=
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2006-11-14 10:56:06

On Monday 13 November 2006 22:42, Eike Hein wrote:
> Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > Perhaps we might not have to subclass some dialogs from Qt just to set the
> > caption, but consistency is the biggest reason especially sense we want to
> > start launching our applications in OS X and windows.
>
> The question it comes down to is what the overriding
> agenda of the KDE project is: to develop a free desk-
> top environment/ecosystem, or to turn kdelibs into
> a library for cross-platform application development.

If KDE is a desktop environment, it doesn't matter whether it adheres to existing \
standards on OS X or Windows, because it will be used in place  of the existing \
desktops on those platforms. On the other hand, if KDE applications are to be run \
outside the KDE desktop, they presumably  need to adhere to non-KDE conventions. In \
the latter case, an app running on pure Windows needs to adhere to Windows \
conventions, an app  running on KDE on Windows needs to adhere to KDE conventions, \
etc. So it's not a question of KDE changing its conventions to suit other  platforms \
- the possible requirement is to enable applications to appear differently depending \
on which _desktop environment_ they are running  on, rather than which _operating \
system_ they are on.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.