List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Popular Keyboard shortcuts (Was: RFC: KDE4,
From:       Christian Esken <esken () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-10-10 17:53:20

Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2006 11:29 schrieb Lubos Lunak:
> On Monday 09 October 2006 22:38, Christian Esken wrote:
> > Am Montag, 9. Oktober 2006 10:43 schrieb Lubos Lunak:
>
> > OK, actually this is a generic issue. There are some very popular Keyboard
> > shortcuts. Popular in the sense that many applications would like to hold
> > this global shortcut: XF86AudioRaiseVolume
> > XF86AudioLowerVolume
> > XF86AudioMute
> > XF86AudioPlay
> > XF86AudioStop
> > XF86AudioNext
> > XF86AudioPrev
> >
> > Problem 1) KKeydialog lets you assign a global shortcut that is already
> > taken by another application (obviously it doesn't work, but the user won't
> > get a warning). So the user assigns the "XF86AudioPlay" in his new shiny MM
> > Application and curses that they don't work - first impression is ruined.
>
> Er, why? As long as only one application with that shortcut bound is running,
> there's no problem.

But actually we very often have more than one (KMilo, KMix).

> > Problem 2) And if a user runs the KMix PanelApplet instead of the Mixer?
>
> Solution 2) : There's no problem 2). The applet has that ability as well. And
> even if the user uses that applet and runs KMix to get a complete control,
> then still the applet shortcut will work just fine.

Lets do a practical rundown: Shortcut is assigned in KMix, user then assigns the \
shortcut to another control in KMixApplet (yes, users do that). Suprise: it doesn't \
work. It is confusing for users, and I will receive yet another bug report. Doesn't \
make sense. Same with KMilo: KMilo takes the keys by default for the Master volume. \
Then assign keys to headphone in KMix. Again it doesn't work. You can do more complex \
scenarios like when you quit one appplication that holds the keys.

> > So we see that we actually have an issue. It cannot be discussed away.
> > If there is no generic solution, I will do a special solution for KMix,
> > MixerApllet and KMilo.
>
> Yes. Assign the shortcut by default to KMix and KMixApplet, dump it from KMilo.

My idea is rather that all of these applications do not hold the global shortcuts at \
all. The shortcuts are instead held centrally (e.g. at kmixd-Server), and configured \
with any GUI of the users choice (KMix, PanelApplet, ...). After configuring the \
Shortcut informaton is transferred from GUI to the kmixd-Server via DBUS.

 Christian
--
Is Unix ready for the Desktop? See http://www.kde.org